Sunday, April 18, 2010

Where did you get that hat?

Apparently I don't look good in hats. My 'subtle as a brick' sister tells me this often. She says I look like Letitia from The Vicar of Dibley (who died on the show because she was so old) who favoured tea-cosy-style hats. I love knitting (I am quite the grandma) and hats are quick and easy to knit and subsequently I have a LOT of knitted tea cosy hats. So come winter, my sister has a field day when she sees me in a hat. It gives her enough material to last her until the next winter.

So today I was in hat heaven when I went to the Queensland Art Gallery to see Hats: An Anthology by Stephen Jones. It (as the name suggests) is an exhibition of hats. All kinds of hats. It was SENSATIONAL. I never knew you could make a collection of hats look so fantastic!! Here are some hats from the collection:


Image from here
The Royal Porcupine my father calls this (Image from here)
Image from here
Image from here
Image from here

There are some wonderful wonderful hats in this exhibition. I am now desperate to be a milliner. If you are in Brisbane, please please go and check it out, its free and FABULOUS!!

10 comments:

Ana S. said...

I love Björks in particular. So awesome!

Anonymous said...

. . . absolutely amazing. I think I need to take a trip to Australia.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I loved the hats in the new Alice in Wonderland...have you seen it?

Ash said...

SJP is so adorable, I wish I could pull off that hat.

Elise said...

Thanks for the comments, it is not only the hats, but the exhibition itself which is sensational!! I just want to go again.

Thomas Hogglestock said...

Elise, what a fun post. A few years ago I saw an exhibit in London on the Queen's hats. I bought the exhibit brochure which I am now compelled to scan and post to my blog. I must find some time this week to do so.

Jodie said...

Fashion collections are hard to make exciting in a museum, but giving them a clothing item to focus on is a fab idea. Love the SJP hat and your dad's description of Camilla's hat (think it's suppoused to have Grecian influences and for some reason reminds me of the Olympics).

Elise said...

Thomas, it is such a wonderful idea isn't it? An exhibition of hats!! Everyone I told I was going balked at the idea as though it was so silly, but no, it was so... FABULOUS!!

Jodie, this exhibition was just beautiful. The rooms were all dark with spotlights on the hats, and soft pink and purple lights around the walls. There was a millinery workshop in the middle of the main room. So cool!

Thomas Hogglestock said...

Elise I posted something on My Porch about the Queen's hat exhibition. In your honor I called it Hats, oh marvellous hats.

Heidenkind said...

Very cool. People always tell me I look good in hats even though I hardly ever wear them.

There was a Dr. Seuss book where the characters were like, "Do you like my hat?" "No, I do not like your hat." and this went on for ten pages. I always think of that book whenever anyone mentions hats. :P