Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ow Wouldn't It Be Loverly?

Do you know what I would really love? To live in the English countryside, somewhere like here:


And read books all day, knit, sew, be artistic and do intellectual things like watch Shakespeare in the local theatre. I would still love to work because I lovelovelove my job, but still have plenty of holidays to go to places like St Petersburg, Carcassonne, Venice... I would be a masterchef and have my friends Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver over for dinner and they would compliment me excessively on my culinary delights. French and Saunders would be my friends and we would meet in little nooky London pubs and laugh uproariously all night long and Josh Groban or Hugh Jackman would drop everything and marry me.

However this isn't case in REAL life. I wish I could read and knit all day but alas, not until retirement. I have recently bought some fabulous books that I intend to read over the coming weeks and I am excited about them.
Just started on this new one from Philip Pullman. I am really liking it so far. A fabulous exploration of the life of Jesus and his brother Christ. Interesting perspective.


I found this in a little tiny book shop in Angaston, SA. It is fictional, but tells the story of the girl who inspired Alice, of Wonderland fame.
I bought this because I loved the cover. Good reason right? The story looks sweet as well. I shall report back once finished.

I'm also in the process of winding up Wolf Hall for a read-along with Gerbera Daisy Diaries and Amused By Books.

So many books, so little time. Right I'm off to put on another load of washing and ring the bank. Ain't real life romantic?

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

lol, I love your England countryside fantasy. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the Pullman - looking forward to your final thoughts!

Anonymous said...

oh ive been looking for that Alice book...if its good would you mind if I borrow it when I come up?

Jodie said...

I'm not sure you would have liked to dirve down those snowy Englihs roads during the grit shortage (they make you go to work in the snow y'know with nary a break for snowy book times). But our country is very beautiful so I get your longing to drop over here (my don't I have my national pride head on, not always so).

Unknown said...

LOL! As a teenager I used to live somewhere very similar to that. I wasn't a big fan - especially when it snowed. It was very isolating to live in a little village with no public transport and in the snow you were stuck. You are miles from a shop selling food (let alone books!) It is too far to get to a city for a drink in a little pub and I could never persuade Nigella to come and cook for me :-) I'm sure your home is far more convienient!!